Pages

About Me

My photo
This is my Story of Second Chances, Healing, Finding Hope, and Learning to Dream Again.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Not a Freak, Just Unique!


I was staring unemployment in the eyes. Current job ending, no new job lined up. My husband encouraged me to pursue a new career, to do something that would bring me joy. But what was that?

Only insurance companies were interested in me, since I used to have an insurance license. But let’s be honest: there’s a good reason (or two) that I let it expire.

At this precise time, my Sunday School Class went through a study on discovering who God has made you to be so that you can serve Him better. We took a myriad of tests: Myers Briggs, Strengths Finder, Spiritual Gifts, and a worksheet on Finding Your Passion. The only thing we didn’t evaluate was our zodiac sign. I guess Virgil Fenters didn’t think it was necessary.

I felt like I was having what is known as an “Existential Crisis,” asking questions like why am I here and what is the meaning of my life?

The results of these tests didn’t yield any new discoveries, only confirmed what I had known all along. I am not made to sell insurance or plug information into a computer.

According to Myers Briggs, I am “unique.” Which is the nice way of say weird. I’m an INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judgment). It’s the rarest of all personality types. I share it with 1% of the population. Which is, of course, why no understands me!

But INFJ’s become writers, counselors, teachers, and activists. We’re all about changing the world for the better. I like to think deeply, feel profoundly, and am driven to make a difference. I love spending time learning about the Bible, about history and psychology, and I love language and communication. And all of these elements come together in the genre known as Christian Historical Fiction.

God made me to be a novelist.

What has God made you to be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment