Pages

About Me

My photo
This is my Story of Second Chances, Healing, Finding Hope, and Learning to Dream Again.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

World's Longest Fingernails






Scented Nail Polish. Who knew?







The other morning my daughter was chattering away about a woman in the Guiness World Records who had the longest fingernails. It sounded disgusting to me, to tell you the truth. I began to think about being known as “the woman with the crazy long fingernails,” and wondering who would put the intentional effort into earning that title. And why.

I started to think about earning a reputation and leaving a legacy. We get one lifetime, and its length varies greatly based upon factors that are mostly beyond our control. And then we die and within a period of time, after those who knew us have all passed on, we’re forgotten completely. Like we never existed. Just one more human being in a long line of those who have lived and died.

But some people leave a legacy that lives on for years, generations, or even centuries after they’re gone. Mother Teresa left a legacy of kindness. Shakespeare left a legacy of words. Aristotle left a legacy of ideas. Jonathon Edwards left a legacy of sermons. Mary Lou Retton left a legacy of gymnastics. And Lee Redmond will leave a legacy of grotesquely long fingernails.

I want to leave something of myself behind, something that will have made my living worthwhile. My hope and prayer is that the legacy I leave will be through the novels that I write, and that they will point people to a deeper, richer relationship with God.

But I plan to keep my fingernails short. Easier for typing. And mountain biking.

What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind? How will you be remembered?

0 comments:

Post a Comment