Pages

About Me

My photo
This is my Story of Second Chances, Healing, Finding Hope, and Learning to Dream Again.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fat Pants



When Ben and I were dating, we decided to take Grace to a local beach on a Sunday afternoon. Ben changed into his swim trunks and I found his jeans in the bathroom. On a whim, I decided to put them on. Before I knew it, Ben had placed Grace inside them with me. And we still needed his belt to hold them up.

It reminded me of those weight-loss commercials that show someone skinny in huge pants. Of course, if I ever really needed pants that size, you’d have to roll me down the street. Ben is six and a half feet tall, so it works for him. But we’ve both made commitments to health and fitness, and have worked together to help one another keep going forward. He pushes me on the bike; I push him in the kitchen. And in the arena of life, we push each other to be better, whether it’s in our stress-management skills or parenting.

As I’ve shared my novel with friends and asked them to circle my mistakes with a red pen and write their thoughts in the margins, I’ve had to humble myself and accept their criticisms. If I were to assume that I’ve already written my novel perfectly, I’d miss out on the chance to make it better. All those red circles, underlines, and comments are opportunities to create a better work of fiction. It’s tough to open yourself up and accept the opinions of others, but I’m very thankful for honest friends who were willing to use that red pen!

I’m happy to report that I have completed my revisions based on their input and another read-through of my own. And—exciting news—I have chosen a title (although I always reserve the right to change my mind until it’s in print). I am now in contact with a professional editor and awaiting her estimate on “substantive editing services” and am pursuing graphic design artists for the book cover. Continued prayer is appreciated.

Is there someone in your life who pushes you to be better? Don’t be afraid to accept criticism; instead consider it an opportunity to improve yourself.

And put down the brownie and eat an apple instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment