Pages

About Me

My photo
This is my Story of Second Chances, Healing, Finding Hope, and Learning to Dream Again.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Ditch the Plans


I used to find comfort in plans. But the older I get, the more I realize what a joke plans can be.

There is a time and place for planning, but I’m learning to relax. My life has taken so many unexpected twists and turns—good and bad—that I never could have anticipated. And so I’m learning to live day by day, as life unfolds. All I can do is participate with God as He writes the story chapter by chapter, both of my life and my novels. There are no more neat outlines for me!

When God called Abraham, He just said, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. I will make you a great nation.” No details were provided on exactly where this land was, or exactly how God would go about making him a great nation. But Abraham had a choice. To believe and step out in faith, or to say, “Umm… Too many loose ends in that invitation. Sorry, but I think I’m ok right here.”

Last summer I was searching for a career-oriented job and so frustrated when every lead ended with rejection. But now I can see that if God had allowed me to find a job then, I would have missed out on the opportunity to do what brings me joy and to chase the dream one more time. God held me back from something that I thought I needed in order to give me what was best for me.

I went from feeling unsure of who I was and completely adrift, to knowing exactly who I am and what I want. It all changed with one word: “Yes.” I knew God was calling me to write again, and I finally decided to obey. Four months later I had completed the first draft of a 93 thousand word novel. The direction of our lives can change in a heartbeat. But we have to be obedient.

So now I have a basic game plan, but with plenty of flexibility for unexpected developments. I have no way of predicting the outcome of my efforts. And that unsettles me. I like things to be clear cut and predictable. But that’s just not the way life works or the way that God leads. It’s always one step at a time.

So as I embark on a new adventure with an unknown destination, I must choose to trust
God again to work out the details.

Is God asking you to step out in faith in an area of your life?

0 comments:

Post a Comment