Pages

About Me

My photo
This is my Story of Second Chances, Healing, Finding Hope, and Learning to Dream Again.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Creative, but Clueless



Ok, let’s be honest here. You can’t have it all. Some people know how to market and strategize. Some of us are gifted at eating M&M’s, researching the Civil War, and writing out stories.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do next. I’m taking each small step with faith, hoping and praying that God will direct me to the next step and provide what I need when I get there.

The first step was getting the story line, and then actually writing the novel. That was the fun part. Next, I need to revise and edit. After that comes the most important part: actually finding a way to share it with a group of people commonly known as “readers.”

I’m researching self-publishing and eye-balling the bank account as I pray for wisdom. But that’s not really the biggest challenge. Nope, that would be the marketing part. Letting the world know I have a novel on my hands and they would like to read it.

I can’t explain it, but I feel compelled to share this novel (and others) with the world. It no longer feels like a choice. To stop writing or to stop pursuing publication would feel like disobedience.

Here’s a quote by Pearl Buck that sums me up remarkably well (I’ll abbreviate it for those with short attention spans):

“The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive... Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create— so that without the creating of… books… his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation.
By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating.”

When I’m not writing, I feel like I’m just marking time.

What are you passionate about?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rebekah! I am so excited for you putting your passion into action! I know that the next steps may be hard but you are going about it the right way by putting this book in God's hands. I know that He will provide for you. And as far as marketing sometimes the most creative ways are the best! And I can say that you have a lot of support from those people who love you and support you, people eager to help! I find sometimes the best ways to get the WORD out that you have a book is word of mouth. And doing things like book signings, trying to get on talk shows, etc. I know God will bless this book because I believe (as I am sure you do too) that this book is God breathed and Gods will. Because you are in obedience with His will you and your book will be blessed. ....can you tell I like writing haha! Anyways, I hope y'all have a great weekend. Can't wait to read more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber. But like you, I'm far more courageous behind the computer than I am in front of audience! God is going to have to walk me through this!

    ReplyDelete